Reports to: Project Superintendent
Date: October 17, 2018
Summary/Objective: The Lead/Foreman Carpenter position is responsible for the building of high-end residential construction projects.
- May supervises a crew of up to 10 employees and prioritizes work.
- Reads and follows plans.
- Job Set Up:
- Review specifications and drawings for errors and omissions and make corrections as necessary.
- Schedule and facilitate pre-construction walk through meetings (see pre-construction meeting procedure).
- Order materials and schedule sub-contractors subsequent to pre-construction walk through and keep job log updated accordingly.
- Be responsible for controlling job costs and staying in budget.
- Job Expediting:
- Coordinate subcontractor schedules and material deliveries to ensure optimal efficiency.
- Be responsible for jobsite cleanliness at all times.
- Be responsible for jobsite safety and security of homeowner’s belongings.
- Oversee all job production procedures and maintain the company standards for excellent quality workmanship.
- Help resolve job related problems including structural issues, procedures, clean up, and protocol.
- Keep Project Manager updated daily on job progress, problems, scheduling conflicts and potential change orders.
- Supervising work done by other employees to ensure conformance with company standards, specifications and proper time tracking.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes,and quality control.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures to promote the effective protection of people and property.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Engineering and Technology - Familiarity with practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Have a Grade 12 knowledge of Math and English
- Communicate by speaking English with other people
- Carpentry: 5 years
- High-End Residential Construction: 3 years
- Carpenter Foreman: 3 years
- Trade school
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Environment While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. This position is performed in outside weather conditions.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 60 pounds. Be able to work on ladders and roofs up to 50 ft off the ground. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. More specifically:
- Manual Dexterity - The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Multi-limb Coordination - The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Static Strength - The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Trunk Strength - The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Finger Dexterity - The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Arm-Hand Steadiness - The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, starting time between 7 a.m. and 8:00 a.m., ending time 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., depending on the project needs, 40 hours per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
APPLICATION: If you are uploading your resume, you can state "See Resume" for the job history and education fields of the application.
DPC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.